12/27/2010

Pandora Radio

I always thought Pandora was just some stupid money hungry internet radio like anything else. I recently heard my parents listening to a John Prine radio station and when I decided to hijack it and create a Black Keys station, I began to see what it really is. Now I am becoming more and more obsessed and if you read the description of their Music Genome Project you can see what I mean, "Together we set out to capture the essence of music at the most fundamental level. We ended up assembling literally hundreds of musical attributes or "genes" into a very large Music Genome. Taken together these genes capture the unique and magical musical identity of a song - everything from melody, harmony and rhythm, to instrumentation, orchestration, arrangement, lyrics, and of course the rich world of singing and vocal harmony. It's not about what a band looks like, or what genre they supposedly belong to, or about who buys their records - it's about what each individual song sounds like.
Since we started back in 2000, we've carefully listened to the songs of tens of thousands of different artists - ranging from popular to obscure - and analyzed the musical qualities of each song one attribute at a time. This work continues each and every day as we endeavor to include all the great new stuff coming out of studios, clubs and garages around the world." 
So basically, check it out. I guarantee you will discover new music, and the people who created this project actually seem like their just want the best for anyone who loves music. You can check out my stations on the left, as of now I only have one, but I love it.
Narcissists Waltz, Die Rimantik

 





1 comment:

  1. I love Pandora! It’s been my single source of music for over a year now and I can’t get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete