1/20/2011

One of the Best Mixtapes I've Heard in a While



Yet another post, I’ve been very busy catching up with tunegrape lately, I’ve been exceptionally slow on posting over the past few days. Today has been a day of musical discovery and introspection at work though, so of course the logical effect of that is a flow of posts on tunegrape. I just found this mixtape on DatPiff and it starts out with a tribute to Guru, which is always a plus. Statik Selektah brings it immediately with a production style highly influenced by Dj Premier. The combined sound of production and Guru shout outs is evidence enough that these guys are dedicated disciples of Gangstarr. The landscapes of the beats are characterized by sampled vocals, scratches and wonderful instrumental samples. Statik Selktah took Premier’s style and threw his own twist on it, sprinkling a little bit of Boston into Premier’s Brooklyn based, child of acid-jazz-esque style. Frank the Butcher makes a point to acknowledge hip-hop bringing together Boston and New York.  Frank the Butcher has a well-put together flow and is lyrically advanced. He brings some thought and social commentary to his lyricism, something which I am always a fan of. I’m still on my first listen, a few tracks in, but as each song goes by I am convinced more and more that this is one of the best mixtapes I have heard in a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment