1/11/2011

Cage the Elephant @ Newbury Comics Thursday Night

HOLY CRAP!  How could I have not known about this Cage the Elephant show until now?  Have I been living under a rock?  Apparently, they’re doing an in-store performance Thursday night at the Newbury Comics store on Newbury St.  They just dropped an album today entitled “Thank You, Happy Birthday,” so they’re making the rounds promoting.  I’m having one of those Homer Simpson “D’oh!” moments because I’m starting my new on-campus job the same night.  Right now my choices are: be responsible and not call out of work, or go see what is sure to be a kick-ass show.  I’ve never seen Cage the Elephant before in concert, but I hear they kill it live.  One of my friends who caught a show of theirs said that they sound better live than they do on their album, which makes sense.  Cage the Elephant makes music that is meant to be played live, not music that is super-polished and placed neatly into an album with a tiny red bow on it.  I like to think of them as a mix between G. Love and the Special Sauce and Rage Against the Machine.   Like if John Wayne were to walk into a bar and see another man hitting on his lady, the soundtrack to the subsequent beat down would be any of the raunchy, high-energy tracks off their self-titled debut album.  Cowboy hats would fly and heads would roll.  Blast!  Just talking about it makes me want to skip out on my duties. 

For those of you who are free Thursday night, Cage the Elephant is playing at the Newbury Comics store on Newbury St. at 6 p.m.  I would show up early, because it’s a first-come first-serve kind of deal with wristbands and everything.  And you know the place will be teeming with Berklee kids.  TEEMING.  So don’t let them take your spot in line and show ‘em who's boss.  What would John Wayne do? 
Cage the Elephant - James Brown

By Courtney Flynn

No comments:

Post a Comment