1/13/2011

Radiohead Created a Two Piece Jigsaw Puzzle of an Epic Album, a Decade Apart?


I was scanning some music industry blogs and internet news outlets at work on Tuesday, and I came across a list of the top 10 weird things in music, mostly hidden facts about albums and some conspiracy theories. I came across one that I thought was very interesting though, the 01s and 10s theory about Radiohead. Apparently if you count Ok Computer as the 01 in the equation, and In Rainbows, which came out a decade later, as 10, and create an alternating track list starting with OK Computer, it gets a little fuzzy towards the middle though -- I'll list them later on -- and add a 10 second crossfade, then they play together perfectly. I read some stuff on the internet, some saying it was nonsense, some saying it worked, so of course I was intrigued and decided to try it. I couldn't get my crossfade working on my iTunes so I put each track into Logic Pro, overlapping by 10 seconds each. I've taken some breaks,  it's over an hour longs, but so far it seems to work. Overlapping the tracks seems to have an almost operatic effect, turning these two albums into an epic movement. Imagine the dark and anthemic atmosphere of Radiohead strung into a long and deep cohesive movement, echoing and storming along for over an hour. It's as like Karma Police, or Paranoid Android, full of different movements, tempo changes and swings of mood, yet it flows perfectly. It really is an amazing effect, I was a bit skeptical at first but it does work, albeit shaky at times, but thats to be expected of two albums made a decade a part from each other. The cohesive flow between the alternating tracks is shockingly well put together. Definitely something to try out for any Radiohead fan. Turn one of the most meaningful, influential, anthemic and deep rock bands of our time into the masters of an epic concept album-esque flowing piece of music.

Here is the track listing...

Radiohead – 01 and 10 playlist:
1. Airbag (OK Computer)
2. 15 Step (In Rainbows)
3. Paranoid Android (OK Computer)
4. Bodysnatchers (In Rainbows)
5. Subterranean Homesick Alien (OK Computer)
6. Nude (In Rainbows)
7. Exit Music (For A Film) (OK Computer)
8. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi (In Rainbows)
9. Let Down (OK Computer)
10. All I Need (In Rainbows)
11. Karma Police (OK Computer)
12. Fitter Happier (OK Computer)
13. Faust Arp (In Rainbows)
14. Electioneering (OK Computer)
15. Reckoner (In Rainbows)
16. Climbing Up The Walls (OK Computer)
17. House Of Cards (In Rainbows)
18. No Surprises (OK Computer)
19. Jigsaw Falling Into Place (In Rainbows)
20. Lucky (OK Computer)
21. Videotape (In Rainbows)
22. The Tourist (OK Computer)


OK Computer
In Rainbows

No comments:

Post a Comment